Fun with silly spinning! Lois from Bountiful always sends large samples of the Alpine Meadows fiber, so I spun them up this afternoon. The blends are, from top to bottom, Rocky Mountain Penstemon, Floral Patchwork, Hummingbird II, and Johnny Jump Up. (Click on the thumbnail for a larger image.)
Plus, I got to play with my new digital camera. I'm really impressed with the lens - I took pictures of one of my horses in a very dark barn, and I could see his whiskers. It's a nice improvement over my four year old digital camera.
Ah, the entire third season of the Sopranos is here from Netflix, and I've got plenty of fiber to spin and ply. More than a quarter of the Gotland is already singles, and I'll have three bobbins worth to ply soon.
The Gotland arrived! I didn't think it had, because the mail carrier didn't come to the door, but the box fit into my extra-large rural mailbox. It's a beautiful heathered gray which spins up quickly - I think I've already done about six ounces of it. This is "comfort spinning" after doing the alpaca/merino/tussah blend, which was very fine and slippery. I think I'll do a 3-ply with this batch to do barn socks for the winter, which will have qiviut footies for the extremely cold weather. I may do some of the rest as a 2-ply for weaving or keep on with the 3-ply. We'll see.
The Pasque Flower shawl has grown a lot. I like the curve in the pattern. It breaks up the variegation in the yarn in different ways. A bunch of DVDs are coming this week, which will mean much knitting time :)
I'm taking care of the horse barn this weekend, which this time involves a horse with an abscess, so that means coaxing her into eating 15 pills twice a day and soaking her hoof in epsom salts. At least it's not hot.
I've started the Pasque Flower shawl. This is a lace that will need good blocking to show up properly, because it's very curvy, but I like what I see so far. The shawl will have a shawl collar as well. I noticed on another shawl that the neckline ribbing, which was knitted on as an edging, rolled nicely when worn, so I'm going to deliberately increase and decrease the ribbing in the center third to make a full shawl collar.
At least I'll get plenty of time to work on it. I'll be taking Fridays off through Rhinebeck at least, and today is a particularly good day to be home. It's the day the freshman arrive at the cow college of the Ivy League, and campus is a terrifying place to be.
I set up a CafePress store with this design because I wanted a shirt to promote Spinning and Weaving Week. But if anyone else would like a T-shirt, sweatshirt, mug, tote or license plate frame, they're available. This small image is brighter and more blurry than what prints - the actual products are very crisp. Even the drop shadow on the text shows up nicely.
The (small) profit goes to the Keeshond Sunshine Rescue Foundation to help pay the medical bills of rescued Keeshonden.
The Galway blanket is done. It's a lousy picture because the light was going fast, but if you click on the image, you'll get the larger one, which is a bit more clear. It's done in "Theresa's Pattern" from Knitting Counterpanes by Mary Walker Phillips. Now I just have to write up the blurbette on Galway sheep, spinning, etc. for the auction coordinator and send it all off.
Now I'll start the triangular shawl with a shawl collar. This will be made from handspun Pasque Flower blend from Bountiful in a double-lobed leaf lace. Also, I just ordered some Gotland roving (yeah, like I need more fiber in this house) from Janell at Fantasy Fibers.
As much as I like process, it's still fun to get things finished.
The merino/alpaca/tussah is finished! Here are the last eight ounces, plied, skeined and waiting to join the other two skeins. I did get just a wee bit obsessive about plying all eight ounces today - it's a lot of yardage, and my deltoids are telling me so.
Ugh, I am so cranky and utterly sick of hot weather. It's still much too hot to finish assembling the Galway blanket, but I did manage to spin about 2 ounces of merino/alpaca/tussah, which leaves only 2 ounces more of singles. I'll probably get that done tomorrow, if I can aim the fan so that it will cool me without blowing the top halfway across the house ...
Heirloom Knitting by Sharon Miller arrived today from The Mannings. Idle paging through shows some Shetland lace patterns and edgings I haven't seen before, although I would probably rework them as stockinette lace rather than garter stitch. I deeply loathe garter stitch in nearly every form!
Also, I've heard that the website www.Heirloom-Knitting.com has errata posted - must remember to check.
It was a productive weekend, on the whole. The Galway blanket is nearly assembled with only three or four seams left. I finally stopped working on it when it got too hot to have all that wool in my lap. I managed a bit of spinning and got a few more ounces of some merino/alpaca/tussah blend spun. It's a 30 wpi 2-ply in a delicious creamy color, and it will become a large lace shawl someday. Also got a pound of the Clun fleece carded. The fleece is in what I call the "infinite" stage. No matter how big the carded pile becomes, it just doesn't look as if I've made a dent in the picked fiber.
Well, all the Galway pieces are blocked and dried, but, of course, I don't have the right-sized crochet hook to assemble everything. Sigh. But the morning wasn't a complete waste. I did get an entire Clun Forest fleece through the picker in the lovely cool of very early morning. If I can't find the crochet hook, I guess I'll start drumcarding instead.
This weekend's goal is to block and assemble a blanket knitted from two colors of handspun Galway fleece. I'm donating the blanket to the American Connemara Pony Society's silent auction at the annual meeting in September.